By Alex Navarro
Cabo has been known for its wild Spring Break atmosphere, however, 2020 leaves behind a decade of many changes. Los Cabos now has much more to offer as a destination for all ages than the ole wild parties. Cabo is for everyone; for all ages, styles and budgets. We welcome you all, and we want you to have the perfect Cabo spring vacation, so here are a some day and night activity ideas for different spring break styles:
- Go whale watching. We are at the peak months of the whale season here in Baja, so a whale watching tour is the perfect outing for the whole family. Gray whales can be 15 meters long and weigh 35 tons. They are Baleen whales and reach maturity at about 8 or 9 years old. The females give birth to one calf about every two years, and newborns can be 5 meters long and weigh 1000 kilograms. They migrate to Baja every year, and their round trip journey can be around 20,000 kilometers. It takes them from five to eight weeks to reach the breeding sites. The whales spend a few months in the lagoons of Baja mating and giving birth, they choose these areas due to their warm and calm waters. The migration begins around October and finishes around April. Some great options to do this activity is with Pez Gato's big nice boat pezgato.com/whale-watching, and for a more intimate experience with marine biologists aboard check out Cabo Trek at cabotrek.com.
- Try snorkeling. It's a great activity to do with the family and refresh from the hot sun this springtime. We have some amazing snorkeling spots with many species of tropical colorful fish and fascinating coral formations. Some top sites are Neptune's finger in Cabo San Lucas, Santa Maria bay and Chileno reef in the Cabo corridor, and La Sirenita beach in Cabo Pulmo National Marine Park.
- Go zip lining at night at Wild Canyon. Suitable for kids as young as 8 years old, this experience is ideal for families. Zip line on a 4-line route over 300 feet high across the night landscape of Baja California between flaming torches, smoke, music and neon lights. Be prepared to walk between each zip line for about 5-15 minutes on varied terrain. After taking the instructions of the safety briefing, put on your harness, helmet, gloves, and a night light, and fly over the El Tule Canyon. The desert night landscape combined with the sounds of nature are incredible. To finish your experience you enjoy a delicious buffet of Mexican stews in the Lion’s den restaurant. So check them out at www.wildcanyon.com.mx for all the info. - Another great, and more tranquil way to enjoy an evening with the family is to take a sunset stroll in downtown San José del Cabo. The city has just remodeled the main plaza and it turned out very nice. There are many benches to sit down and relax, as well as many different shops, restaurants, food stands and art galleries to have a very good time.
FOR THE ADVENTURER
- Start your day with an SUP session to the iconic Arch. The best time to begin is between 7 and 8 AM to ensure that you make it to the Arch before the traffic of boats gets heavy, which is typically around 10 AM. Along the way, there’s a good chance you will spot some of the marine life that resides here, such as seals, colorful fish and rays. Cabo SUP on Medano Beach is a good spot for paddle board rentals, you can also rent kayaks and paddle bikes. Rental reservations can be easily made online at www.cabosup.com. Included in your rental is a basic beach instruction and you can also hire a guided tour, which is recommended. Upon your return you can have a –much needed– delicious breakfast at one of the many restaurants on the beach.
- Go off-roading to have an unforgettable and adventurous time. Some routes pass through dry river beds, others on sand dunes, and others go on dirt trails through the mountains and many other views as well. Wide Open wideopenbaja.com is a great choice for this awesome adventure.
Go on a sunset walk or horseback ride at the San José Estuary. You will find a great place to rent horses next to the Holiday Inn and there is plenty of parking available. The San José estuary is a truly magical place where the sunsets are incredible.
FOR THE R&R LOVERS
- Start your morning with a yoga class, ask your concierge about yoga in your hotel or you can also book a private class with great studios in Cabo San Lucas like @caboyogaandfitness or San José del Cabo like @innerflowyoga.cabos. They are both great choices. - Spend a few hours at the spa. Los Cabos is a world-class spa destination with a vareity of unique treatments and amenities, such as Himalayan salt rooms and ice rooms. Look for spas that have outdoor relaxation areas so you can enjoy the beautiful march weather, such as the spa at Chileno Bay Resort & Residences, Currents Spa at The Cape, a Thompson Hotel, or the impressive Waldorf Astoria Spa at Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal.
- Try some outdoor rest and relaxation and immerse yourself in hot springs. I highly recommend you book a guided tour out to Santiago town which is one hour north from Los Cabos and has some amazing hot springs in the area. Your concierge can gladly help you book a tour with a certified operator.
- A classic recommendation not to be passed is to go for a sunset walk on the beach of your hotel. The Cabo sundown skies are the perfect thing to take in the day that has passed, and enjoy the relaxation and calmness of the moment.
FOR THE PARTY SEEKER
Los Cabos, as you know, is the best party place, and during Spring Break it's even more unbelievable. Check out the beach parties at Medano beach at the restaurants and day clubs located all along the beach. SUR Beach House is great for a mellow vibe and Blue Marlin Ibiza for a more crazy pool party. You must not miss-out on the parties at OMNIA Dayclub located at Vidanta Los Cabos hotel in San José del Cabo. This month they will have several big DJs during their spring break and anniversary celebrations, check out our Events calendar on page 34 to see their entire March line up.
- Go classic Cabo clubbing. The Cabo nightlife in the party strip is legendary, from all the small casual bars and fun dine and dance spots like Casa Amigos, to the classics like Cabo Wabo and Giggling Marlin, to trendy EDM clubs and dance music nightclubs like Mandala, the partying is nonstop and guaranteed. In San José del Cabo you can find excellent house music at spots like Mixology and Dalton Bar, and on DJ nights at Ricketts Bar right in the downtown plaza.